[omniORB] How to create a reference to a "well-known" object?

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:45:53 +0100

On Monday 10 July, Chris Newbold wrote:

> Ah, this is more like it :-). I assume I can find some documentation
> for the INS at the OMG?

Well, there certainly is some documentation for it at the OMG, but I
wouldn't be at all surprised if you couldn't find it :-) . The thing
you want is the "edited chapters document" from

  http://cgi.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?ptc/99-12-03

... not www.omg.org where it used to live. Be quick to get it before
the OMG moves it again.

There's a simpler (I hope) explanation of what it provides in chapter
4 of the omniORB 3 manual.

> > The other nice thing about using INS is that you can specify the
> > reference to your object with a string like
> > "corbaloc::my.host.name:1234/MyObjectKey".  This will work with any
> > INS compliant ORB.
>
> Do I feed those strings into string_to_object?

Yes.