[omniORB] OmniORB in the kernel space ?

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 10:07:57 -0500

   This could certainly be done, but not without some significant
effort. You would need to map the CORBA interfaces to a native IPC
transport, which would be complex and probably hard to do efficiently.
And you'll still require a significant runtime environment for processes
to be able to generate and accept requests over the native IPC. So you
could move the GIOP engine out of user space, but I'm not sure that you
get much else.
   Not that it shouldn't be done, of course. I think an L4/CORBA-based
operating system would be great fun to build and play with. Or maybe
look at the Amoeba system, replacing the Amoeba RPC interface with a
CORBA-based one.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories

In Message <H0000ca204510157@MHS> ,
   casillas_juan_M/madrid_tecnologia2@sinvest.es wrote:

=>Hello
=>
=>      Yesterday, I was talking with a friend about distributed operating systems,
=>      and the new technologies, so the question is: If we have a ORB in the
=>      kernel space, just like another device driver, we can use this ORB to
=>      distribute some kernel's services ?
=>
=>         Our hipotetic kernel has the basic network code, some device
=>         driver management code, that is, only the basics
=>         (just like a microkernel has) and the rest of the services can
=>         be distributed using CORBA interfaces ...
=>
=>      Modularize OmniORB could be useful ?
=>      Im writting a Distributed management environment (GAP Project) and
=>      I found this idea very interesting ...
=>
=>Thanks
=>Kind Regards
=>