[omniORB] SIGSEGV, Linux and omniORBPy1.1

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:44:38 +0100

On Tuesday 29 August, Gary Pennington wrote:

> The problem isn't obviously deterministic, so I can't pin it down, but
> gdb always reports the same problem.

You shouldn't trust core files from multi-threaded Linux programs. I'm
surprised you get anything usable at all.

What compiler are you using?  The egcs which comes with some (possibly
all) versions of Suse is not configured with --enable-threads, so it
leads to random crashes under high load. That sounds like your
problem. You should compile gcc 2.95 or egcs 1.1.2 for yourself,
making sure that you use the --enable-threads switch to configure.

If you are already using a suitably configured compiler, please run
your server under gdb. That way, when it segfaults, you'll get a
reliable indication of where it died.