[omniORB] NEWBY question: 1 object reference, multiple callers

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:36:06 -0400

Stefano Santoro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using v2.8 and I am coidn a CORBA server.
> I have a question: if multiple clients (say multiple
> processes runiing a client ORB program) share
> the same object reference to ONE servant object,
> and all call it concurently, does it mean that omniORB
> either
>
> 1) spawns new threads to deal with the concurrent
>     requests to the same servant, meaning that the
>     same servant object can respond to more than
>     one request at any given time
>
> 2) keeps the requests to the ONE servant queued
>     so that the servant may process only one request
>     at a time.

this entirely depends on the POA policy you choose.
If you allow multiple threads, you have to care for
thread safety yourself. In the single threaded policy
it's the POA which will serialize requests.

Regards,	Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal