[omniORB] COMM_FAILURE when object not activated?

Niklas Elmqvist elm@3dwm.org
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:29:56 +0200

Hello, list!

I've just converted an application to use the POA in the new omniORB3,
but while learning the ropes and making some mistakes I ran into a
curious phenomenon. I registered my servant object with the Name
Service, but forgot to activate it in the POA. The problem was that when
I retrieved the IOR using the name service in the client and then tried
to use it to invoke methods on the servant, it threw a COMM_FAILURE
exception, which I believe is odd.

I haven't read the standard, but according to the Michi Henning & Steve
Vinooski book (I'm sure it's known around here), pp. 314-318, the
correct response from the ORB would be TRANSIENT (or perhaps
OBJECT_NOT_EXIST), not COMM_FAILURE. Here's a relevant section: "Some
ORBs incorrectly raise COMM_FAILURE instead of TRANSIENT if they cannot
establish a connection to the server."

Is this the case with omniORB, or have I misunderstood something? I'd
say that regardless of what the correct response is, I find COMM_FAILURE
to be a bit confusing at best.=20

I'm using the omniORB3 from the devel CVS branch, so I should be quite
up-to-date.

best,
Nick

--=A0Niklas Elmqvist <elm@3dwm.org> ------------------------------------
   3Dwm Project Coordinator and Programmer.