[omniORB] Threading Question

Ji-Yong D. Chung virtualcyber@erols.com
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:03:53 -0500

    All instances of your servlet talk to your server via only one server
object reference, right?  In such case, you probably need to synchronize.
If each of your servlets that call your server does it through different
server object references, you should be okay (I think ...).

     Of course, the server, which is riding on your ORB, must manipulate
shared resources in thread-safe manner even if ORB handles the requests in
thread-safe manner.

    I am curious, as I do not know much about servlets, of the following.
When the servlet responds to the client, does the servlet run in a
"separate" thread from the web server or the same thread as the web server?
Does it begin a new thread each time client calls?

    For instance, Netscape Enterprise Server has a pool of threads.  Each
thread handles certain amount of load.  If a particular thread in the server
invokes your servlet, does your servlet run in a different thread, or does
it attach to the thread of your web server?
.