[omniORB] Threading Question

Thomas Bednarz tb@smartsol.ch
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:42:33 +0100

I have an omniORB Server written in C++ and a client to this server written
in Java. The Java Code is embedded in a servlet. This servlet is called
every time a user calls a certain page on the web server. Since every HTTP
session accessing the servlet is handeld in a separate tread, the servlet
must be implemented thread safe.

Now I have an object reference of a omniORB server object as data member of
my servlet. Variouse public methods of my servlet call interfaces of the
CORBA object.  My question is: Do I need to synchronise access to this Corba
Object functions inside the Java Servlet or does omniOrb handle this? My
concern is, that for the omniOrb server all incoming requests from the
servlet look like ONE single client but in fact there could be many
different HTTP sessions requesting this object.

I believe I have to synchronize those requests inside my servlet since I
also have to synchronize access to properties of the servlet. Could anybody
confirm this or explain how access to omniORB objects through java servlets
is seen on the corba server.

Many thanks

Thomas

SMART Solutions AG
Software Engineering & Consulting
Baarerstrasse 98, PO Box 2642
CH-6302 Zug / Switzerland

Phone:  +41 41 766 11 99
FAX:     +41 41 766 11 95
Web:    www.smartsol.ch

My PGP Fingerprint:
099D AA7A 4023 0060 FAFC  5E58 C001 80BA 51F7 E48B