[omniORB] is there a way to check if two obj references are colocated?

Pedro Ferreira paf@inescn.pt
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:59:45 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Renzo Tomaselli <renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it>
To: omniorb list <omniorb-list@orl.co.uk>
Date: Quarta-feira, 27 de Janeiro de 1999 18:08
Subject: Re: [omniORB] is there a way to check if two obj references are
colocated?

>I had a similar problem for a distributed imaging application; however
>colocated objects do exchange data as memory area addresses, the ORB is not
>involved. The vtable of C++ does the trick so performance is really at
>maximum. The great thing is that this is fully transparent to both client
>and server coding. Moving objects to different address spaces doesn't
>concern their coding, just performance (and off course retrieving the
>counterpart object, this is a naming issue).

Great! That's exactly what  we do in our Digital TV Studio system.

>Btw, I'm interested to know why exchanging a large byte sequence through
>TCP/IP (sockets) should be faster than through ORB marshalling.

Because using the ORB involves marshalling, unmarshalling, GIOP overhad,
etc.
However, most ORBs perform quite well when you use byte sequences.

Take a look at OMG's "Control and Management of A/V Streams", somewhere
at http://www.omg.org

Doug Schmidt (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt) also has several very
interesting
papers on that and other subjects, namely
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/av.ps.gz

Hope this helps,

Pedro
Pedro Alves Ferreira
INESC - Porto               Tel: 02 209 42 28
Pc da Republica, 93 R/C     Fax: 02 208 41 72
4000 PORTO              e-mail: paf@inescn.pt
Portugal