[omniORB] Re: Omniorb and Java

Armen Yampolsky ayampolsky@erols.com
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:25:37 +0000

You will need a java->idl compiler, and java libraries from other vendors.
People (including myself) have been successful in using java ORBs with
omniORB in varying degrees. I suggest you search through the list. Also,
the omniORB web site has a good, albeit outdated page:

http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/javaORBs.html

which compares campatibility between the java ORBs and omni.

I have had personal success with Sun's JDK1.2 libraries and omni. There
are a few important issues, not the least of which is Sun's poor
(non-)implementation of connection re-opening functionality. In using
their ORB, if you are using a java client, you must turn off the
idletimeoutperiod for both the omniORB server and the naming service. I
would not use Sun's libraries for server-side code, I get a queasy feeling
about it.

Of course there are other vendors. ORBacus is said to be good. Commercial
ORBs such as Visigenic's and Orbix's are said to be good as well.

Good luck,
-Armen

--
Armen Yampolsky