[omniORB] wchar/wstring support

Gerald Gutierrez gutier@intergate.bc.ca
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 21:06:40 -0800

>The CORBA spec guarantees variable sizes to be the same on all hosts and
>architectures for the CORBA::* types.
>	So, in other words, just use CORBA::int which is guaranteed to be 16
>bit. And a client language with dynamic typing and/or type casting ability.
>Which is C++ ;)

For the "int" method to work ( I believe it is a "short" that is 16 bits,
there is no "int" in CORBA IDL ), you must assume that your codeset is 16
bit wide and that both client and server know of and use the same codeset.
In addition, you must manually do all conversion between C++ wchar_t /
wstring and CORBA int / sequence<int>. For the latter to be trivial, one
must assume that wchar_t is 16 bits (which excludes practically all UNIX
based systems), and that the operating system/compiler/runtime uses the
same codeset as your distributed application. If they are different, you
must do all codeset conversions.

You can see why I'm hoping wchar/wstring support will be built into OmniORB
in the near future.

So can someone at ORL please let me know whether wchar/wstring support is
planned?