[omniORB] Conflict with other ORBs?

Brent Fulgham brent.fulgham@xpsystems.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:45:16 -0800

Hello Omniorber's:

I run omniorb (2.8) on Debian GNU/Linux (potato).  This is roughly
comparable
with the most recent release of RedHat (glibc 2.1.2).

I have the omniorb nameservice start up at boot time, and it runs in the
background like any other service on my system.

I have found that if I start the GNOME environment, however, that as soon
as the gnome-orb starts up omniorb dies.  I thought initially that it might
be due to them fighting over the same port, but a quick check with `fuser`
does not show this.

Has anyone else experienced problems when orbs from multiple vendors
are running on the same system?  I would have thought that they would not
be visible to each other, since the BOA::Init call seems to include
a unique identifier for the Nameservice in use (omniORB in this case).

Thanks,

-Brent