[omniORB] Conflict with other ORBs?

Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:29:53 +0000

On Monday 13 December, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> I have the omniorb nameservice start up at boot time, and it runs in the
> background like any other service on my system.
>
> I have found that if I start the GNOME environment, however, that as soon
> as the gnome-orb starts up omniorb dies.  I thought initially that it might
> be due to them fighting over the same port, but a quick check with `fuser`
> does not show this.

The ORBs should not be visible to each other unless they are
explicitly introduced by passing an IOR between them. Unless ORBit is
maliciously looking for and killing omniNames, it should never see
it. Maybe you could try running omniNames in a console, rather than in
the background, to see if it prints anything meaningful when it dies.