[omniORB] Timeout with oneway calls (Failing faster?)

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
22 Sep 1998 12:31:50 +0100

Jim,

Oneway call is just like request-reply except that there is no reply from
the other end. If the ORB detects the connection is broken when the request
is being sent, it does the following:

If the broken connection is a cache connection, i.e. it has been used
previously for other invocations, the ORB would quietly try to reconnect
to the remote address space and retry the request again.

If the reconnect fails, it would throw a COMM_FAILURE.

(With omniORB, you can change this behaviour by installing your own
exception handlers, see the user guide for details.)

The reason why it takes a second or so to raise a COMM_FAILURE is likely to
be cause by NT being slow in reporting connect fail. Not much you can do
about this I'm afraid.

Sai-Lai

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND