[omniORB] Timeout with oneway calls (Failing faster?)

Jim Redman jim@ergotech.com
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 14:59:18 -0600

I'm sure that this must of been discussed before, but can't find any
reference in the archives.  This is the latest snapshot on Win NT.

I have a server that asynchronously sends oneway messages to the clients.
That sounds backwards, but the clients register to recieve the information.
 This works fine, and fast, I can move thousands of data points per second.
 However when one of the clients is killed the server will try to send
information.  I catch the COMM_FAILURE exception, but this takes a long
time to be raised, of the order of a second or so.  The server appears to
block while failing.

The network is reliable, full duplex 100BT, and a successful call completes
in less than a millisecond. Is there a way to decrease the timeout so that
it is of the order of 10ms?

As an aside, why does all this happen with oneway calls anyway?  Shouldn't
they just disappear into the ether, or am I being naive?

Jim