[omniORB] Troubles with naming service under win95

b.keeping@ic.ac.uk b.keeping@ic.ac.uk
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:29:52 +0100

Hi,

I went through the same route as you - I even mailed Chris Collins but
with no result! However, I've just discovered that if I start an
internet connection first, omninames works! This makes sense in a way,
since the only way omninames can do its full job of implementing the
Internet InterOrb Protocol (which your error message refers to) is if
it is able to accept incoming connections: for which it must be
connected!

Let me know if this solves your problem.

However, there really ought to be a way to try out components that use
the name service within a single machine without the expense (for
domestic users) of an internet connection. I vaguely remember a
similar debate about Linux? Comments from the implementors please??

Cheers,
Ben Keeping
Imperial College
London