[omniORB] Echo invokes dialer

Arne Christensen arc@pine.dk
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 13:32:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Jim Redman writes:
> I think that this depends on whether you were on-line when you first
> invoked omninames.  If you were then it will try to dialup, if not, you
> will not be able to start onminames while you're on-line.
>
> If you delete the ominnames log and bak files then restart omninames when
> you are not on-line and always start it that way everything appears to work
> correctly.
>
> I'm sure that in the world of Window's networking there is a rational
> explanation for this behavior.
>
> Jim
>
> At 08:48 PM 7/2/98 -0400, John Gagnon wrote:
> >I'm testing the 3rd Echo implementation, using the COS, and it causes
> >Win95's dialer to be invoked every time. Is there some way to prevent it
> >from doing this? If it's in the manual, I'll find it shortly.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >John Gagnon
> >
> >E. John Gagnon Consulting

In Windows 95 at least, networking behaves in a weird way on computers
without a network card. In the common setup where you dial up to an
Internet Service provider and acquire an IP address at logon, the
computer naturally doesn't have an IP address on the outset. This
confuses Windows networking a lot. I recently bought the cheapest possible
network card for my home computer in order to work around this. I don't
have a network at home, but Windows seems to need a network card...

-- Arne