[omniORB] OmniORB server for a DII client

Jan Lessner jan@c-lab.de
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 08:55:32 +0200

Roy Ward wrote:
> A workmate of mine is thinking of switching from another ORB to omniORB
> for a server. He wants to write the server using omniORB, and then call
> it
> from a java client (using another ORB) that uses DII. He does not use
> DII or
> the IFR at the server end.
>
> Is this possible? Has anyone tried this? I've seen somewhere that the
> use of
> DII by the client is transparent to the server. Is use of DII by the
> client trans-
> parent to the ORB as well?
We are using a VisiBroker-based client making use of the DII and it
looks fine in most cases for servers on VisiBroker 3.1, omniORB 2.2 and
even OrbixWeb 3.0. During testing we discovered some minor problems
which I can't remeber any more (shame on me, but they where not relevant
for our applications). However, if you are moving over from Orbix or
OrbixWeb be prepared for some nasty extra work to do ;-)

	Jan Lessner, C-LAB