ILU / OmniNames

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:59:47 +0100

> I am attempting to lookup using a ILU/C client, a javaRMI server
> registered with the omniORB
> naming service running on NT. I can access and operate on objects by
> instancing via IOR, but when using the CosNaming::NamingContext::resolve
> method on the name resolver, the object returned (another registered
> java server); which has interface Object in the idl seems incompatible
> with ILU's CORBA object.
>
> If you look below the ILU binding is looking for an onject of type
> IDL:org.omg/CORBA/Object
> It dosent be able to find this equality.
>
> A debug trace follows; notic that the type identification appears to be
> failing. Suggestions on what to try nextr would be appreciated?
>
> ILU2.0alpha10+ most recent patches, VC4.2, omniORB2.2.0; the java server
> is using skeletons generated from the omni-supplied Naming.idl, and
> works fine for the example Hello application distributed with javaIDL

Looking at the debug trace, I believe the problem is caused by a bug in
javaIDL: it doesn't recognise the object of type IDL:HellpAppl/hello:1.0 is
also a IDL:omg.org/CORBA/Object:1.0.

Here is what I think is happening:

    ILU client                                        omniNames  javaIDL server
    ----------                                        ---------  --------------

1)  string_to_object()
    --> _is_a("IDL:CosNaming/NamingContext:1.0") -------+

            <---------------------------------------- return True

2)  NamingContext::resolve() ---------------------------+

            <--------------return object ("IDL:HelloAppl/hello:1.0")
        --> _is_a("IDL:omg.org/CORBA/Object:1.0") ---------------------+

             <----------------------------------------------------return False

     <---Failure

There is no workaround. Please file a bug report to javaIDL.

This is a good test case. omniORB2 has the same bug as javaIDL!!! A patch
will be posted shortly.

Regards,

Sai-Lai Lo

--
E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND