gcc in Solaris

ISC Guillermo Dominguez Aguilar guido@lux.labinf.uaa.mx
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:51:22 -0600 (CST)

   |^^^^^|    ----------------------------------------------------------
   ( O,- )    ISC Guillermo Dominguez Aguilar           __      //
    \ = /     Academia de Redes y TeleComunicaciones   (._)____//__
   / )x( \    Presidente                                 \_-- //-_/
 /   | |   \                                               \ o. /
-oOOo---oOOo- Departamento de Informatica                    \/
O-----------O ----------------------------------------------------------

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Valerie Castelain wrote:

> At 09:07 17/09/97 +0200, you wrote:
> >Hi
> >> I saw that omniOrb2 can be compiled to Solaris
> >> platform using Sun SparcCompiler C++.
> >> Can I compile omniOrb2 with GNU C++ Compiler in Solaris ?
> >Yes, you can, at least with version 2.7.2 (not 2.7.0!!). It compiles
> >just perfectly.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >	Jan
>
> Hello,
>
> I tried to compile OmniORB2 with Solaris 2.4 and GNU C++ 2.7.2 and it failed:
> when executing "make install", at the line "+ ranlib libast.a",  it tells
> "sh: ranlib: not found" that leads to a fatal error ...
>
> What's "ranlib" ?

ranlib is the tool to make a compiled objet a library, if you don't have,
you need get it to make a proper compilation.
A long time ago, we have the same problem (in the UAA) so, the solution
is:

a) search in the software repositories for Solaris 2.x for the ranlib
command.

b) tell me if you want to send to you the ranlib we have. (via mail).

> Thanks,

PD. En espaniol seria mejor, pero.. pues ya ves...

EL GUIDO.