gcc in Solaris

Paul Kendall paul@orion.co.nz
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:13:50 +1200

Actually, ranlib scans through the objects in an archive (produced by
ar)
and create a symbol table for all of said objects and puts that into
the archive.  It makes linking faster.

Solaris and other SYSV unices dont need ranlib, they have a '-s' flag
to ar to generate the symdef file.  Usually, on these systems,
ranlib will be defined as echo in the makefile.

Cheers,
Paul Kendall
Product Development Manager
Orion Systems New Zealand Ltd