Bootstraping-IOR & SharedLib with GNU g++

Thomas Wenger wenger@iam.unibe.ch
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:43:59 +0200

Hello to all users of omniORB2,

I am using omniORB2 for some time now. I have two questions that may be answered by someone of you:

1. How to get the IOR of omniNames into another ORB

I am using JavaIDL-ORB (EA) for clients and omniORB for the serverobjects. My question is now: How do I get the IOR of omniNames into the JavaORB?
I thought that IP-address and port-number (can be set as parameters) would be enough information for the Java-ORB to get contact to omniNames. But it did not work.
As I see it at the moment, I have to write the stringified IOR of omniNames into a file, that is located on the webserver, so that it can be accessed by the JavaORB. The JavaORB then has to get an object by resolving the IOR it got via reading a textfile on the server.

Does anybody have any suggestions or remarks to that?
(For your information I inserted the "pragma omg.org stuff" in omniNames. So it is not this problem...)

2. How to build shared libraries with GNU g++ (under Solaris 2.5)

I am running omniORB with GNU g++. But I was told, that GNU was only possible when not using shared libs. So I am using static libs now. But imagine if you have 10 server objects: you loose some MB of RAM, if every server-object has its statically linked libs.

So my question: does anybody have makefiles/modifications/hints to offer, that enable me to build shared libs with omniORB and GNU g++?

Thanks to everyone
   TOM
Thomas Wenger                                 wenger@iam.unibe.ch
University: Institute of Computer Science and
            Applied Mathematics (IAM), Office 205
            Neubrueckstr. 10,  CH-3012 Bern      +41 31 631 49 90
Private:    Wydacherstrasse 4, CH-3113 Rubigen   +41 31 721 41 18