echo examples refuse to run !

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:46:53 +0100

The first thing I suggest is to look into your tcp/ip setup.

A number of users have previously reported similar problems with standalone
linux machines. Here is what I suggest them do:

1. Setup the machine to have a valid host name and IP address, for
   instance, an IP address from the private address space allocated by IANA
   (RFC 1918).
2. Setup a (loopback) route to your machine. For instance, you can use the
   "dummy" interface on Linux to do that. You may have to recompile your
   kernel to include the interface. Remember, just having the 127.0.0.0
   loopback is not enough.

I suspect your problem is similar.

1. Does your machine have a valid IP and host name?
2. If you are not connected to the network via PPP, can you ping your
   machine, telnet to your machine? If not, it is an indication that the
   loopback is not working.
3. Is your ISP doing dynamic IP address allocation? Each time you connect,
   you are getting a different IP address?
4. You only need to run omninames with the -start <port> *once*. When you
   rerun omninames you don't use the -start option. If you do so, the IOR
   should stay the same.

If you check the above and still cannot get it working, do get back to us
and send us the output of the programes.

Regards,

Sai-Lai Lo