echo examples refuse to run !

Gerald Gutierrez gutier@unixg.ubc.ca
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:00:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all. I have been a user of Orbix for Solaris for a while when I
discovered that there was a free CORBA implementation for Win32. I
decided to try it and downloaded the distribution. Everything installed
fine and all the utils in the bin directory seem to work. I have read all
the documentation and done the configuration. However, I
cannot seem to get the echo examples to run properly ! If anyone can help
me, it would be just superb because I'd really like to make use of this
package.

Here's a summary of what I have done and what my results were :

- Installed package
- Ran omninames -start 12345, got the IOR and put it into omniorb.cfg
prefixed by the NAMESERVICE keyword
- Set environment variable OMNIORB_CONFIG to point to omniorb.cfg
- Made logdir and set environment variable OMNINAMES_LOGDIR to point to it
- Put IOR into the registry ( I believe in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORL/OmniORB/2.0/NAMESERVICE )
- Started omninames ( I stopped the first one I ran and started again by
just typing omninames )

I can get echo/eg1 to run just fine ( I suppose this means the runtime
libraries work partially, if not entirely ). I can get echo/eg2_impl to
run, and display the IOR. I CANNOT get eg2_clt to work properly -- it
reports a COMM_FAILURE exception. I CANNOT get eg3_impl to run -- it dies
with an abnormal program termination. Needless to say, eg3_clt doesn't run
either. It dies with an unknown exception caught.

Another symptom is that the first time I run omninames, it gives me one
IOR. When I quit, put that IOR into the cfg file and/or the registry and
rerun omninames, it comes out with ANOTHER IOR. Is this normal ?

I wondered if it was the TCP stack I was using, and ping'ed myself, which
worked. I hooked up to the internet through PPP and tried again, and it
worked. I cannot figure it out.

If anyone can help me out, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.