Timeout for method invocation

Jan Lessner jan@c-lab.de
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 14:40:22 +0200

Hello everybody
I'd like to implement an asynchronous communication between two servers
which should be combined with a timeout facility. I.e. server A calls
server B and then waits until either server B calls back by invoking a
method in server A in turn or until a certain period of time has
elapsed.
Up to now I was using Orbix or CoolORB which both provided functionality
to interupt the impl_is_ready method making it pretty easy to implement
the scenario above. In omniORB I didn't find something similar yet. The
natural way is to throw an exception in the callback procedure which
causes impl_is_ready to return. But this doesn't help in omniORB since
the executions of the callback and impl_is_ready are located in
different threads (I guess).
So, does anybody have an idea for that?

Regards,

	Jan Lessner