[omniORB] Application gets stuck when using thread pool connection mode with bidirectional GIOP

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Sun Jan 30 14:24:56 UTC 2022

Hi Serguei,

It's not a known issue, although the combination of bidirectional with
thread pool mode is somewhat unusual. Bidirectional GIOP requires extra
threads to manage the interactions on the bidirectional connections, so
something is probably interacting badly.

Please can you get traces from the server with these tracing options:

  traceLevel 25
  traceInvocations 1
  traceInvocationReturns 1
  traceThreadId 1
  traceTime 1

That will give a lot of output, but it should make it possible to see
what is going on.

Duncan.

On Fri, 2022-01-28 at 16:05 +0100, kolos via omniORB-list wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Can anyone help me out please with the following problem.
>
> We are using omniORB 4.2.5 on CentOS 7 Linux and we have recently
> tried to use bidir GIOP for some of our
> services. Everything works fine for the servers that use thread-per-
> connection mode, but the applications which are
> using thread-pool mode get stuck when the number of external
> connections reaches the number of threads in the
> pool. There is a clear correlations between these numbers, which we
> verified by varying the number of threads in the
> pool. The symptom is that when the number of external connections
> reaches the number of threads in the pool the
> server starts accumulating connections in the CLOSE_WAIT state and an
> attempt to communicate with it resulted
> in a timeout. After a while (a few tens of seconds) all connections
> in the CLOSE_WAIT state disappeared and the
> server becomes responsive again.
>
> Is this a known behaviour or otherwise where should I look at to
> investigate and possibly fix this problem?
>
> Cheers,
> Serguei

-- Duncan Grisby --
-- duncan at grisby.org --