[omniORB] omniORB 4.3.0 C++ - SegFault in omni::sslConnection::Send/SSL_write

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Sun Apr 24 13:20:52 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-04-22 at 15:27 +0200, Nico Lochner via omniORB-list wrote:

> since I switched to the official 4.3.0-Release of omniORB C++ I
> encounter SegFault's every once in a while :-( It's happening here:

[...]
> I've used 4.3.0 BETA_1 for many years without any problems and this
> issue did never come up. Therefore my questions:
>
> * Are there any major changes between BETA_1 and final Release?

There were no changes relating to SSL / TLS or bidirectional between
beta 1 and the 4.3.0 release.

> * An article from 2015 (https://www.omniorb-
> support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/2015-December/031812.html)
>   seems to describe a similar problem related to BiDir, are there any
> known issues still open?

I don't think that issue is similar at all. It was not a crash, rather
an exception that was being thrown.

I can't explain why you are seeing a problem with 4.3.0 but did not
with the beta.

There is an issue with bidirectional that in some circumstances causes
a connection to be closed prematurely, that was fixed after the 4.3.0
release. The same problem was present in all earlier versions, though,
so that would not explain why you are newly seeing it. You might like
to try running with the latest svn contents, or the nightly snapshot
from

https://omniorb.sourceforge.io/snapshots/omniORB-4.3-latest.tar.gz

If that does not help, are you able to reproduce the error running
under valgrind?  That should give you a good indication about what the
error is.

Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org>