[omniORB] Cross-Compiling for ARM to use with pyTango (any Python3 package)

public at polch.org public at polch.org
Thu Sep 3 08:08:01 UTC 2020

Good morning -

My plan is to cross-compile omniORB4 to be used on a ARM hardware and
get pyTango running. First of all, I'm little unsure on how the
procedure looks like (what packet to compile and how to get it working
with a Python3 package, pyTango).
So following first of all some more general questions as well as
regarding the cross-compile process:

My environment:
* Ubuntu64 20.04.1
* Target-Device: arm-angstrom-gnuabi
* Target device with cross-compiled Python3.6 (zlib as well as ssl support)

1) What omniORB package (omniORB or omniORBpy, both) do I have choose to
get pyTango going on a ARM device.
2) From where will omniORB interact with pyTango. Will it be part of the
target device's standard libraries (eg. /usr/lib) or part of the Python
installation.
3) How to compile omniORB from my Ubuntu. I found the following HowTo on
the tango page
https://tango-controls.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorials-and-howtos/how-tos/how-to-compile-mniorb.html?highlight=compile
. I tried to cross-compile omniORB-4.2.3 with following settings facing
the issue below:

../configure --prefix=/opt/tango/orb/omniORB-4.2.3/arm \
        CC=${CROSS_PATH}/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc \
        CXX=${CROSS_PATH}/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-g++ \
        --host=arm-angstrom-linux \
        --build=x86_64-linux-gnu

checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... arm-angstrom-linux-gnu
checking for arm-angstrom-linux-gcc...
/home/spfc/cross_compile/arm/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
checking whether
/home/spfc/cross_compile/arm/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc accepts
-g... yes
checking for
/home/spfc/cross_compile/arm/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc option
to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking whether
/home/spfc/cross_compile/arm/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-g++ accepts
-g... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor...
/home/spfc/cross_compile/arm/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -E
checking for arm-angstrom-linux-ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet
checking for python... no
checking for python2... no
checking for python3... /usr/bin/python3
checking for python version... 3.8
checking for python platform... linux
checking for python script directory...
${prefix}/lib/python3.8/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory...
${exec_prefix}/lib/python3.8/site-packages
checking for omniidl... /usr/bin/omniidl
checking for omkdepend... no
configure: error: cannot find omkdepend on the path

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
 Marcus