[omniORB] python module not reloadable

Guilhem Saurel guilhem.saurel at laas.fr
Thu May 14 08:37:43 UTC 2020

Hi,

In my team, some people are using the Spyder IDE. It allows to have a text
editor and a python REPL side by side.

But to launch the text files multiple times, and after editions, in the REPL,
Spyder has a "User Module Reloader" (UMR) system, that tracks all loaded python
modules, and reload them each time a user asks the REPL to launch the text file
again (otherwise, python would just use those it already had in memory).

This is not working with omniORB, as it is not reloadable:

-------8<---------------------------------------------------8<-----------------
Python 3.8.2 (default, Apr  8 2020, 14:31:25)
[GCC 9.3.0] on linux
>>> import omniORB
>>> from importlib import reload
>>> reload(omniORB)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/importlib/__init__.py", line 169, in reload
    _bootstrap._exec(spec, module)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 604, in _exec
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 783, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "…/lib/python3.8/site-packages/omniORB/__init__.py", line 1054, in <module>
    promotePartialModule("CORBA__POA")
  File "…/lib/python3.8/site-packages/omniORB/__init__.py", line 460, in promotePartialModule
    sys.modules[mname] = _partialModules[mname]
KeyError: 'CORBA__POA'

The workaround in my case is just to tell Spyder never to reload omniORB, in
Tools -> Preferences -> Python interpreter -> User Module Reloader (UMR)
And from here, add "omniORB" to the list of modules not to reload.

So this bug is not blocking at all for us, but I just wanted to let you know :)

Best,
Guilhem.