[omniORB] cmake-based build process for omniorb?

Kruegler Daniel Daniel.Kruegler at bdal.de
Mon Jul 28 13:14:52 BST 2014

Hi!

Currently the build-process of omniorb is strongly dependent on the actual platform used (e.g. Windows vs. Linux). In our company we need to build omniorb manually for multiple platforms via C++, because

- we need to create binaries for compilers where omniorb has currently not provided Visual-Studio-Solutions for
- we need to inject our own compiler settings to prevent possible ODR violations

Currently any update of the build results (e.g. when upgrading to a newer OmniOrb version) is complicated and actually requires a manual process on one specific in-house computer instead of doing that via a reproducible, automated build process (especially on Windows the build process is complicated).

For other third-party tools that we use in-house we have taken advantage of cmake to configure the build process uniformly and as much automatically as possible. Unfortunately such a cmake configuration does not exist for omniorb yet, to the best of my knowledge. I would like to ask, whether

a) there are currently thoughts to switch to such a cmake build for OmniOrb?
b) whether anyone has tried to define such a cmake-build for Omniorb and whether this person would be willing to share his/her experience with the list registrees?

Thanks very much,

- Daniel Krügler

-----------------------------
Bruker Daltonik GmbH

Fahrenheitstrasse 4             Geschäftsführer                         Sitz der Gesellschaft
28359 Bremen                    Sebastian Meyer-Plath           Bremen
Germany                                 Stefan Ruge
                                                Dr. Michael Schubert
                                                Jürgen Srega                            Handelsregister
Permoserstrasse 15                                                                      Amtsgericht Bremen
04318 Leipzig                                                                           HRB 8150
Germany                                                                                         www.bdal.de

Haftungsausschluss: Die Bruker Daltonik GmbH ist nicht verantwortlich für die ordnungsgemäße, vollständige und verzögerungsfreie Übertragung der Nachricht. Der Inhalt der E-Mail ist nur rechtsverbindlich, wenn er unsererseits durch einen Brief oder ein Fax entsprechend bestätigt wird.

Exclusion from liability: Any liability of Bruker Daltonik GmbH referring to the correct, complete and immediate transmission of the message shall be excluded. The content of the e-mail including its attachments is only legally binding if confirmed by Bruker Daltonik GmbH by letter or fax.