[omniORB] shared memory support in omniORB

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Sep 7 17:26:50 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 14:51 +0600, Asif Habib wrote:

> Is there any shared memory support in omniORB? I have come accross a
> paper by Sai Lai Lo, indicating that he has tested omniORB with
> transport via shared memory ("The Implementation of a High Performance
> ORB over Multiple Network Transports", 1998). However I am unable to
> find any comments regarding shared memory transport in the omniORB
> user guide.

No, there is no shared memory transport in omniORB. The paper you refer
to was describing some experiments that were done with shared memory,
but that code never found its way into the main omniORB distribution.
The main reason is that it's awkward, and not actually very efficient to
use shared memory when you have large bulk data to transfer.

> In-fact I have scenario in which client and server should be located
> on two processors on the same board and be able to communicate with
> each other. One of these processors does not have tcp/ip available on
> it? How this kind of thing can be done if shared memory support is not
> there in the omniORB? Any suggestions would of great help.

If you have access to (or can implement) a stream transport that allows
data to stream from one process to the other, it will be relatively
straightforward to implement a new transport for omniORB that uses it.