[omniORB] Re: [Q] Runtime issue with mingw32-g++-4.5.0 (static constructors)

Jérôme Carretero cJ-omniorb at zougloub.eu
Mon Sep 6 17:45:37 BST 2010

On 09/05/2010 11:46 PM, V S P wrote:
> I am planning to move my dev env to the latest gcc 4.5 (need c++ 0x
> features) and wanted to ask if Jeromy or anybody else was able to
> successfully resolve runtime issues associated with mingw x32 and x64
> targets
>
> http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/2010-August/030707.html
>

> thank you in advance

Hi,

My issues were probably due to errors from my part, when using an older
compiler there were still seen.
After some hours, I managed to have my problem solved.
Since then, I've been using i686-pc-mingw32-g++-4.5.1 and omniORB v4.1
rev5967 without issues.

I was not able to build omniORB on MinGW with the standard distribution
sow I made modifications to suit my usage.
Unfortunately (sorry Duncan) the modifications are quick and dirty and
cannot be merged as is.
At least, they can be looked at and cherry-picked.

The issues encountered during compilation were:
 - during cross-compilation, some tools built and used for compilation
(omniidl, omkdepend) may be built for the target environment and could
not be used. A workaround was to replace OMNIIDL and OMKDEPEND
environment variables to use the system ones.
 - The tool .mk files are not used, I had to modify beforeauto.mk.in in
order to have stuff defined/used. And no way to undefine UnixPlatform
except commenting it in beforeauto.mk.in.
 - mingw32 does not have gettimeofday which always gets defined in the
acconfig.h
 - wanted to build omnIORB in different build-$PLATFORM folders (for
Windows, Linux 32 and 64bit), and could not have it working
 - ... (forgot)

When I looked at the compilation toolchain code and documentation, I was
kind of lost and aborted my attempts to properly modify it.
I think some modern build tools could achieve better results with a lot
less code.

Links:
 - wiki entry for my installation of omniORB
   http://zougloub.eu/wiki/tech/comp/dev/libs/corba/omniorb
 - git repository for it
   git clone git://git.zougloub.eu/libs/omniORB

--
cJ