[omniORB] "Caught an unexpected Python exception during up-call" on Fedora 10

Tim Allen tim at commsecure.com.au
Mon Mar 2 18:33:35 GMT 2009

Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote:
> On Friday 20 February, Tim Allen wrote:
> > omniORB: Caught an unexpected Python exception during up-call.
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "./server.py", line 10, in echoString
> >     raise Example.MessageIsEmpty
> > Example.MessageIsEmpty: Example.MessageIsEmpty()
> > omniORB: throw UNKNOWN from pyServant.cc:566
> > (MAYBE,UNKNOWN_PythonException)
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?
>
> The problem is that Fedora 10 has Python 2.5. In Python 2.5, exceptions
> were changed to be new-style classes. Older versions of omniORBpy
> assumed they were old-style classes.

Ah, that explains it, thank you!

> You'll have to update to omniORB 4.1.3 and omniORBpy 3.3 to be able to
> work with Python 2.5.

Hmm.. so far I've been building RPMs based on the
semi-official-looking .src.rpm files here:

	http://opensource.nederland.net/omniORB/

...but they only go up to 4.1.0 and 3.0. Are there newer .src.rpm files
available somewhere?

> Why do you need to use those specific ancient versions?

As I mentioned, this is a code-base I inherited, and I trusted the
documentation I had that specified those versions. I'll try to get
things up and running with the latest versions and report back if I
have any more compatibility questions.

Thank you again!

Tim.