[omniORB] nameServer Connection - localhost vs. 127.0.0.1

Michael Jäntsch michael.jaentsch at in.tum.de
Wed Jun 17 19:50:36 BST 2009

Hello everyone,

I am using a piece of software that is using omniOrb. Everything was working
fine until I moved to a different PC. The whole thing crashed on me. Both

PCs are running Ubuntu 9.04 and I believe I have about the same packages
installed.
I have narrowed  down the problem but I am kind of stuck on the exact
reason. Maybe someone can help me with this here!?

The problem is that with the attached source code I am not able to connect
to my omniNames server, using localhost as a server location. omniNames is
up and running and I can connect to it using 127.0.0.1. This seems really
strange to me for I always thought the two are equivalent.
This is no problem on my first PC but only on my second. It must be some
kind of setup problem.

I already checked to standards:
loopback interface is up and runnding
/etc/hosts contains: 127.0.0.1	localhost
I can ping localhost

Can somebody please help me with this? Would be really nice...

regards
Michael Jäntsch