[omniORB] back-end to serialize AST to file?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jul 2 11:27:09 BST 2009

On Tuesday 30 June, Tim Black wrote:

> I am on Windows, and I want to be able to debug my python back-ends using
> eclipse or some other debugger. Point is, I need to be in control of starting
> the python process I want to debug. On windows, omniidl.exe starts the python
> process that invokes my back-end, so I cannot debug. What I want to do is
> sever my code-generation back-end from the omniidl.exe process by visiting the
> AST using a single PickleVisitor which just pickles the idl syntax tree and
> writes it to file. Then I just run (and debug!) a new python script that reads
> the file, unpickles the AST, and passes it to my code-generation back-end.
>
> Anyone already done this? See any problems with this plan?

I don't think you'll get that to work, because various Python bits of
omniidl assume the C++ bits are available in the _omniidl module. On
Windows, _omniidl is built in to the executable, so it isn't available
to import by the normal Python interpreter.

If you want to do what you're talking about, you're going to have to
build omniidl as a separate extension by modifying the make rules.