[omniORB] Help: Identify object/servant location

Carsten.Agger at tieto.com Carsten.Agger at tieto.com
Tue Jan 27 13:39:31 GMT 2009

I'm implementing a CORBA service which is to be deployed in several
instances in various locations on the network.

The servants may receive and process CORBA objects which are members of
its own class.

This raises a problem: In some cases, a servant may be passed a
reference to a servant object located on its own service. In this case,
the processing needs to differ slightly to allow services to be
redundant mirrors of the same data. What I need is basically: If the
object reference is to the same database, don't call remotely via the
ORB, process locally, as the servant may be loaded here.

But how do I know it is local or to the same database? I thought of
using user generated IDs and code the database identifier
(server.database) in the object ID, but there doesn't seem to be an easy
way to extract the object ID from an object pointer, as it seems to be
located on the servant's POA only.

Because of backwards compatibility problems we can't easily change or
extend the IDL to include a getLocation() method. So how would one
actually do it?

best regards and TIA for any response,

Carsten Agger,

Tieto.com, Denmark