[omniORB] question on behavior of client on server restart - possible hang?

Igor Lautar igor.lautar at hermes-softlab.com
Wed Aug 5 16:14:07 BST 2009

Hi All,

We are hunting down a problem with our client SW using omniORB (client and
server are v4.1.1 on windows) for communication.

Our problem could be explained, if omniORB call does not return. We think we
saw something like this in past, but are not sure.

My question is:
Is it possible (under certain circumstances) that client call hangs
indefinitely? We do not have clientCallTimeOutPerid set (its 0).
Would it be possible that client ORB never detects that server is gone (other
than one way calls)?

We suspect something like this may happen when servant is restarted, and call
has already been waiting for some time.

Only reference I've found for this kind of behaviour is comment by Richard
Hirst some time back: http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-
list/2007-January/028386.html, to which there were no replies, but it seams
patch was applied to 4.1.1.

Thx for ideas,
Igor