[omniORB] My program crashes when I try to dereference an object from a sequence

Martin Trappel 0xCDCDCDCD at gmx.at
Wed Oct 29 09:29:49 GMT 2008

Lane, Frank L wrote:
> I'm going to go over the examples better, and look into Messrs. Henning
> and Vinoski tome (it's humongous).
>
> I notice that most of what you talk about on this list are 'advanced'
> topics.  However, with that in mind, as a beginner I have no option
> other than ask beginner questions.

Some of your beginners questions should be clarified by Ch2 and Ch3 of
this book.
Also - you might want to check out JAVA/CORBA Tutorials on the web as
they are more numerous and should be able to teach you the corba basics.
(And they have the benefit of not cluttering up the CORBA basics with
C++ memory management. :) )

> In code layman's terms, what is the difference between <interface>_impl
> * and <interface>_ptr?  They are related, I'm hoping?  They are
> obviously not as interchangeable as I'd imagined.

The _impl classes (they can be aribtrarily named, "_impl" is just
something that's used often) are the (C++) implementation of a given
CORBA IDL interface. They are "related" insofar as you are able to get a
_ptr type from your _impl type (_this()) - but there is no other (C++)
relationship btw them.

> Based on Martin's response I'm assuming <interface>_impl * is known as
> an object implementation?
>
> Is <interface>_ptr what is referred to in omni documentation as an
> "object reference"?

I guess so. Note that a _var type is just a smart pointer type for _ptr.
So either a _var or a _ptr can be an object reference.

br,
Martin