[omniORB] Array size limit

Klas Nordberg klas at isy.liu.se
Wed May 7 11:29:10 BST 2008

Hi

I'm testing how long time it takes to send large arrays of bytes
(CORBA::Octet) between a server and client using omniORB CORBA by
writing a client which sends 10^6 bytes to a server which just copies
the received byte array to a local buffer.

On a linux platform this works fine, but when I tested to run the client
on a Windows platform, I get a stack overflow runtime error (not an
exception) from somewhere deep in the ORB.  When I decrease the size of
the array, however, it works.  Apparently, there is a limit on the
amount of data in an array which can be processed by the ORB.

The idl looks like

typedef octet inputdata[1000000];

interface server {
  long receivedata(in inputdata data);
};

QUESTION1: Can I increase the limit so that a 10^6  byte array can be
sent in one chunk also from a Windows client?  Is there a configuration
variable?

QUESTION2: Is this limit documented somewhere?  Is it a bug?  It appears
to me that the stack overflow error is not gracefully managed by the ORB

Regards

Klas Nordberg