[omniORB] omniOrb with VC9 for x64

Igor Lautar Igor.Lautar at hermes-softlab.com
Thu Feb 7 13:12:10 GMT 2008

Hi Stefan,

These are our instructions on how to compile it, adapted from 4.0.7 for 4.1.1. Maybe we do something wrong etc., but it works for us just fine.

Nope it helps, but we haven't tried it with VS9 though.

Regards,
Igor

===========================
Homepage:
	http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/

WINDOWS x64 (MS VisualStudio 2005):

1	* Copy omniORB-4.1.1.tar.gz to a directory and extract it.
    * Open the cmd shell where you will compile omniORB.

2	* Install(/build) Python for x64 (ex. c:\python24)
	* Issue the command
	    PATH=C:\Python24

3	* Install cygwin (ex. c:\cygwin). Make shure you have installed make.exe from develop suite.
	* Issue the command
        PATH=%PATH%C:\cygwin\bin
        to add the cygwin utilties to your path.

4    * Install openSSL library (x64) to a directory (ex. c:\openSSL), in the lib subdir copy libeay32.lib, ssleay32.lib from the dynamic subdir.

5    * Execute "Program Files (x86)\Microsoft VisualStudio\vc\vcvarsall.bat x64"

6   * CD to extracted omniORB, open config\config.mk, uncomment line platform = x86_win32_vs_8
    * Open mk\platforms\x86_win32_vs_8.mk, uncomment line #PYTHON = /cygdrive/c/Python24/python (or change it)
    * Uncomment line #OPEN_SSL_ROOT = /cygdrive/c/openssl (or change it)

7   * Copy python24.dll and the Lib directory to bin\x86_win32

8   * Change to directory src and execute
        make export

WINDOWS x32 (MS VisualStudio 2005):
Same steps as for x64:
1
2 - use python for x32
3 - instead of cygwin, you can use:
    * Install gnu-win32-lite.zip into C:\gnuwin32
	* Issue the command
        PATH=C:\gnuwin32\bin;%PATH%
      to add the GNU utilties to your path.
    * Execute
        C:\gnuwin32\bin\checkmounts C:\gnuwin32
      to mount the directory.
4 - use openSSL for x32
5 - use just vcvarsall.bat without parameter
6
7
8

Distribution

    Binaries are located in bin\x86_win32. You may skip *_rtd.dll files.
    Furthermore the idl compiler omniidl.exe needs the directory structures omniidl and omniidl_be located
    in lib\python. Just copy these two trees into the bin directory where you place
    omniORB but skip all .pyc files. They are generated from .py files and therefore not needed.

    For the idl compiler to work standalone (without the installed Python) you need the following
    files from the Python distribution. Just copy these file to the bin directory.
    Do not forget to add python24.dll.

        copy_reg.py
        getopt.py
        ntpath.py
        os.py
        re.py
        site.py
        sre.py
        sre_compile.py
        sre_constants.py
        sre_parse.py
        stat.py
        string.py
        types.py
        UserDict.py

    Last but not least you need static libraries. They can be found in lib\x86_win32.
    You need the following libraries.

        COS4.lib
        msvcstub.lib
        omniCodeSets4.lib
        omniORB4.lib
        omnithread.lib
        omniDynamic4.lib
        COSDynamic4.lib

    Include Files:
        Take all files from directory include.

Troubleshooting
1   * In case of: make[3]: *** No rule to make target `//c/python22/include/Python.h', needed by `idlpython.d'.  Stop.
    * Run 'rm tool/omniidl/cxx/*.d' to fix it. You'll run into this every time you rebuild omniorb.

2   * Problems with linking, make shure that link.exe from cygwin doesn't come before MS VS link.exe in the environment var PATH.