[omniORB] Callback objects not working with corba server on vmware

Michael Thaler michael.thaler at ph.tum.de
Mon Dec 8 10:52:25 GMT 2008

Hello,

I have written a Java application that connects to a satellite telemetry
processing application (SCOS 2000) which uses Omniorb. My application can
connect to the telemetry processing application, register parameters and
receive updates. Unfortunately after a day or so my application stops getting
updates because there is an exception on the server: exception when notifying
the client:IDL:omg.org/CORBA/TRANSIENT:1.0.

I am trying to debug this problem. For debugging I want to run the telemetry
processing application as a VMWare image on my computer. My computer (the host)
runs Windows Vista, the telemetry processing application is running under Suse
Linux Enterprice Server 10 (the guest). I set up host-only networking and added
the hostnames to /etc/hosts and c:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. I can
ping from the host to the guest using both IPs and names and I can also ping
from the guest to the host using IPs and names.

My application can connect to the telemetry processing application and register
parameters, but as soon as the telemetry processing application calls my
callback object it throws a corba.transient.exception: Exception when notifying
the client:IDL:omg.org/CORBA/TRANSIENT:1.0". I tried to turn off the Windows
Vista firewall but this did not solve the problem either. Running the VMWare
image under Windows XP or Debian works just fine. My application can connect,
register parameters and gets updates (the server can call the callback object).
Thus this seems to be a Windows Vista issue. Unfortunately I have to use
Windows Vista at work. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong?

Greetings,
Michael