[omniORB] IDL Linked list

David movling at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 11:28:14 BST 2008

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the great replies. You have really shed some light on this.

What I'll end up doing is probably writing a wrapper class for the remote
object:

(pseudo code)

class RemoteObjectWrapper {
  private RemoteObject remoteObject;
  public int doStuff( BigComplexNestedDataStructure arg ) {
    remoteObject.doStuff( convert( arg ) );
  }
  private SpeciallyAdaptedArgType convert( BigComplexNestedDataStructure arg
) {
  }
}

class RemoteObject {
  private ActualRemoteObject actualObject;
  public int doStuff( SpeciallyAdaptedArgType arg ) {
    actualObject.doStuff( convert( arg ) );
  }
  private BigComplexNestedDataStructure convert( SpeciallyAdaptedArgType arg
) {
  }
}

class ActualRemoteObject {
  public int doStuff( BigComplexNestedDataStructure arg ) {
    ... actual code ...
  }
}

This way I'll end up having to change the existing codebase as little as
possible, thus minimizing the risk of breaking something, as it's a fairly
big system I'm changing.

Thanks again for all the advice.

/David