[omniORB] Timeouts on oneway calls

Serguei Kolos Serguei.Kolos at cern.ch
Fri Apr 4 11:59:58 BST 2008

Hello

Doing some further investigation I have realized that the same applies
to a normal two-way calls
as well. The problem is that it is possible that tcpConnection::Send
function blocks forever on the
::send call (tcpConnection.cc:205) if the message is large enough and
the server is hanging. This
happens because the tcp sockets are used in the blocking mode
(O_NONBLOCK is not set).
I understand that using non-blocking mode for sockets is more
problematic since EAGAIN error
requires a non-trivial handling but on the other hand this is a serious
issue in my case.

I have a reliable client which is sending data and non-reliable servers
which are written by different
users and may die (easy case) or hang. In the latter case my client also
hangs forever which is
unacceptable.
I'll be glad to hear any ideas on how to handle this issue.

Cheers,
Sergei