[omniORB] Problems using multiple network cards

Dalkouhi Ramin MES/GRZ Ramin.Dalkouhi at avl.com
Tue Sep 4 16:49:00 BST 2007

Hello there,

My name is Ramin, working for a company located in Graz/Austria we are
faced the fact that our OmniORB based server does not seem to handle
multiple network-cards correctly. Our client/server architecture is
quite simple, focusing on single-client/single-server on Windows 2000/XP
only. At startup of OmniNames, all known interfaces are listed, even
those not even being connected to a network at all. It seems as
OmniNames chooses the first IP-Adress as the one to pass on to
registering server-applications which is not correct in our case. Here
is a short snippet of omniNames output, the 192.168.x.x IP is wrong, we
would like the server to use the other IP (157.247.x.x):

-----
omniORB: Distribution date: Thu Apr 14 17:19:57 BST 2005 dgrisby
omniORB: My addresses are:
omniORB: 192.168.13.10
omniORB: 157.247.28.148
omniORB: 127.0.0.1
omniORB: Maximum supported GIOP version is 1.2
omniORB: Native char code sets: ISO-8859-1 UTF-8.
omniORB: Transmission char code sets: ISO-8859-1(1.2) ISO-8859-1(1.1)
ISO-8859-1
(1.0) UTF-8(1.2) UTF-8(1.1).
omniORB: Native wide char code sets: UTF-16.
omniORB: Transmission wide char code sets: UTF-16(1.2).
omniORB: Initialising omniDynamic library.
omniORB: Current configuration is as follows:
omniORB:   DefaultInitRef (file) =
omniORB:   DefaultInitRef (args) =
omniORB:   InitRef = NameService=corbaname::157.247.28.148
omniORB:   abortOnInternalError = 0
omniORB:   acceptBiDirectionalGIOP = 0
omniORB:   acceptMisalignedTcIndirections = 0
omniORB:   bootstrapAgentHostname =
omniORB:   bootstrapAgentPort = 900
omniORB:   clientCallTimeOutPeriod = 0
omniORB:   clientTransportRule = * unix,tcp,ssl,bidir
omniORB:   diiThrowsSysExceptions = 0
omniORB:   dumpConfiguration = 0
omniORB:   endPoint = giop:tcp::2809
omniORB:   endPointPublishAllIFs = 0
omniORB:   giopMaxMsgSize = 2097152
omniORB:   giopTargetAddressMode = KeyAddr
omniORB:   id = omniORB4
omniORB:   inConScanPeriod = 180
omniORB:   lcdMode = 0
omniORB:   maxGIOPConnectionPerServer = 5
omniORB:   maxGIOPVersion = 1.2
omniORB:   maxInterleavedCallsPerConnection = 5
omniORB:   maxServerThreadPerConnection = 100
omniORB:   maxServerThreadPoolSize = 100
omniORB:   nativeCharCodeSet = ISO-8859-1
omniORB:   nativeWCharCodeSet = UTF-16
omniORB:   objectTableSize = 0
omniORB:   offerBiDirectionalGIOP = 0
omniORB:   omniORB_27_CompatibleAnyExtraction = 0
omniORB:   oneCallPerConnection = 1
omniORB:   outConScanPeriod = 120
omniORB:   poaHoldRequestTimeout = 0
omniORB:   poaUniquePersistentSystemIds = 1
omniORB:   principal = [Null]
omniORB:   scanGranularity = 5
omniORB:   serverCallTimeOutPeriod = 0
omniORB:   serverTransportRule = * unix,tcp,ssl,bidir
omniORB:   strictIIOP = 1
omniORB:   supportBootstrapAgent = 0
omniORB:   supportCurrent = 1
omniORB:   supportPerThreadTimeOut = 0
omniORB:   tcAliasExpand = 0
omniORB:   threadPerConnectionLowerLimit = 9000
omniORB:   threadPerConnectionPolicy = 1
omniORB:   threadPerConnectionUpperLimit = 10000
omniORB:   threadPoolWatchConnection = 1
omniORB:   traceExceptions = 1
omniORB:   traceInvocations = 0
omniORB:   traceLevel = 40
omniORB:   traceThreadId = 0
omniORB:   unixTransportDirectory = /tmp/omni-%u
omniORB:   unixTransportPermission =  777
omniORB:   useTypeCodeIndirections = 1
omniORB:   verifyObjectExistsAndType = 0
omniORB: Initialising incoming endpoints.
omniORB: Bind to address 0.0.0.0.
omniORB: Starting serving incoming endpoints.

Tue Sep 04 1omniORB: AsyncInvoker: thread id = 1 has started. Total
threads = 1
omniORB: giopRendezvouser task execute for giop:tcp:192.168.13.10:2809
5:24:55 2007:

Starting omniNames for the first time.
-----

We already played around with endPoint settings and clientTransportRules
to make the system work, but failed:

// Allow both interface, also tried it using only the first one
endPoint = giop:tcp:157.247.28.148:
endPoint = giop:tcp:192.168.13.10:

// On client side, also tried it with 157.247.0.0/255.255.0.0
clientTransportRule =     157.247.28.148/255.255.255.255
unix,tcp,ssl,bidir

// Disallow any other adress
clientTransportRule = * none

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry for posting such a long mail,
Best regards,

Ramin

AVL List GmbH, Firmensitz: Graz, Firmenbuchnummer: FN 53507M, Landesgericht fuer ZRS Graz