[omniORB] timeout detection (client-side)

Michael Kilburn crusader.mike at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:17:54 GMT 2007

Thank you, Duncan. Just to clear last thing:

> > - server is potentially alive (i.e. socket can't connect due to
> > timeout (due to network problems, or server overload))
>
> If the server is too busy to accept the new connection, you will still
> see TRANSIENT_ConnectFailed, since the client can't tell the
> difference. If it accepts the connection but is too busy to start
> processing it, you'll get TRANSIENT_CallTimedOut.

What will happen if client set a timeout value (2 seconds) and server
is too busy to accept a connection. Will client:
- timeout according to underlying protocol settings (usually 20 sec
(?) for TCP/IP) and get TRANSIENT_ConnectFailed
- or it will return after 2 sec with TRANSIENT_CallTimedOut (or something else?)

i.e. does omniORB::setClientCallTimeout() guarantee that we'll spend
at most X seconds in the call in every possible scenario?

--
Sincerely yours,
Michael.