[omniORB] Can't run OmniPy out of the box? (_omniidl module problem)

Keeping, Benjamin Benjamin.Keeping at rbccm.com
Fri Nov 16 13:36:47 GMT 2007

Hi,

I am running on Windows 2000, 32 bit, and have installed omniORB-4.1.1-x86-win32-vc7.zip (since that's the version of VC we use) and omniORBpy-3.1-x86-win32-python2.5.zip.

Having extracted the contents of these zips alongside each other under C:\projects [see footnote] and added C:\projects\omniORBpy-3.1\lib\python and C:\projects\omniORBpy-3.1\lib\x86_win32 to my PYTHONPATH, and C:\projects\omniORB-4.1.1\bin\x86_win32 to my PATH (I found that having C:\projects\omniORBpy-3.1\bin\x86_win32 in my PATH seemed to cause problems?) I now get the following error when trying to compile my first IDL file with "omniidl -bpython example_echo.idl ":
omniidl: Could not import back-end 'python'
omniidl: Maybe you need to use the -p option?
omniidl: (The error was 'No module named python')
>From the documentation of omniidl, I can see that it will be trying to load the python module omniidl_be.python here. Running "import omniidl_be.python" from the Python interpreter gives me slightly more information - the problem is "import _omniidl" at line 97 of lib\python\omniidl\main.py. I can find nothing in either zip matching this name, i.e. containing "_omniidl". What am I doing wrong? Do I need to build something after all?
Ben Keeping
-----------------
Footnote: I did see the following instruction in the README:

"If you do not have Autoconf support on your platform (e.g. on
Windows), you must install the omniORBpy source in the $TOP/src/lib
directory of a working omniORB 4.1 tree. Make sure the directory is
called omniORBpy -- if you downloaded a release archive you must
rename the directory to remove the version from the directory name.

Once you have the source in the right place, simply do a make export
in the $TOP/src/lib/omniORBpy directory."

But assumed this didn't apply as I am not building anything from source.

This email is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may be privileged and confidential.
Unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.If you receive This e-mail in error, please advise immediately and delete the original message.
This message may have been altered without your or our knowledge and the sender does not accept any liability for any errors or omissions in the message.