[omniORB] omniORB and TAO in the same process space

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jun 22 18:11:39 BST 2007

On Friday 22 June, Alexandre DENIS wrote:

> On Friday 22 June 2007, Friedhelm Wolf wrote:
>
> > I attatched a core dump which shows, that there are TAO calls made
> > within a omni ORB requests. Please correct me if I misinterpret this
> > dump (I'm no expert at all), but it seems, that the symbols don't get
> > mingled. (maybe because the whole TAO stuff is dynamically loaded at
> > runtime).
>
> This backtrace shows that CORBA::Object::is_nil from omniORB was applied
> to a TAO object.

Actually I don't think it does. Unbounded_Value_Sequence_T.h is not an
omniORB header, so it must be part of TAO.

However, you are right about the general problem. Because of the way the
C++ mapping works, there are inevitably function and type names that
overlap between omniORB and TAO. What happens is entirely at the mercy
of how the runtime linker chooses to resolve symbols. Somewhere along
the line, it is mixing up omniORB and TAO code, and understandably blows
up as a result.

I think it's a lost cause to integrate two different C++ ORBs in one
process.