[omniORB] omniORB and TAO in the same process space

Friedhelm Wolf friedhelm.wolf at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 22 10:16:15 BST 2007

Hi there,

I guess I'm doing something very weird, but anyway I'd be happy about some
comments on it:

I am using omniORB 4.0.3 on Suse Enterprise Linux 9.3.

I have a running and rather complex system based on CORBA and
using omniORB. I now want to integrate one TAO servant into this
environment.
This system however loads CORBA servants from shared libraries.
The whole mechanism to find and load these needed libraries, includes
CORBA calls (which are served by omniORB CORBA servants).
As a concequence to this I end up having TAO in the same process space.

I found out it, that the initialisation of TAO doesn't work properly.
The only hint I have until now is an omniORB error message, which
seems to occur in the midst of executing TAO code:

omniORB: ERROR -- an invalid buffer pointer is passed to freebuf
 of string or object  sequence

I found out, that this results from a global error handler function (or
something like that),
void _CORBA_bad_param_freebuf() in omniORB/orbcore/exception.cc

Is there some global error handling in omniORB which might have this effect.
Do you in general advise against the use of two ORBs (from different
vendors) in the
same process?

Cheers,
Friedhelm