[omniORB] Does omniORB support smart proxies?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Sep 29 18:37:33 BST 2006

On Tuesday 26 September, Tuyen Chau wrote:

> Sorry if this question has been asked before.  Does omniORB support
> smart proxies?  I'm porting an Orbix application that uses smart
> proxies to cache values in client objects and avoid unnecessary remote
> invocations.  I can't find any mention of this in the omniORB
> documentation.  I'm hoping somebody has implemented smart proxies with
> omniORB and could point me in the right direction.

You can register your own factories for proxy objects to do what you
want. I'm afraid it's not documented, however, so you'll have to read
the stub code to see how proxies are registered. You'll probably want to
use the -Wbvirtual_objref flag to omniidl's C++ backend so you can
override the object references' methods.