[omniORB] Incompatibility between omniORB version 4.0.7 binary release and Python 2.4

Hunt, Dave Dave.Hunt at uk.thalesgroup.com
Wed Mar 22 08:19:49 GMT 2006

Dear all,

This is to alert users to a problem I encountered when using the Windows
omniORB version 4.0.7 binary release (for VC++ version 6) .
I downloaded Python 2.4 and set the PYTHONPATH to point to it.
I then got an error using omniidl, as detailed in yesterdays email

=============
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\os.py", line 38
    return [n for n in dir(module) if n[0] != '_']
                ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

It turns out that the omniidl.exe and omnipython.exe files use python15.dll.
By unsetting the PYTHONPATH, the omniidl works.
Thanks to Luke Deller for spotting this.

Cheers,

Dave Hunt