[omniORB] How to set only sockets unix?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Mar 2 16:12:17 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 28 February, jorgefm at cirsa.com wrote:

>  I'm developing a little embedded device and I want to set up an omniOrb
>  enviroment but only using sockets unix. The filesystem is readonly. The
>  only read-write area is where the omniNames logs are generated. I've
>  configured the omniPRB.cfg to set the client and server transport rules
>  to accept only socket unix conns. I've tried with
>  "InitRef = NameService=corbaname::localhost" with no luck.

That's specifying a TCP service on localhost, so it's no good.

Firstly, you need a writable filesystem where the unix sockets can be
created. By default they get created in /tmp/omni-$USER .

Then you need to tell omniNames to only listen on a Unix domain
socket. You can do that with arguments of -start -ignoreport
-ORBendPoint giop:unix:/tmp/omninames-socket

Then you can configure the InitRef as
NameService=corbaname:omniunix:/tmp/omninames-socket

You must also start all your servers with just a Unix domain socket
endpoint with -ORBendPoint giop:unix: . In this case, don't specify a
filename, since each server needs a different socket file.